Wednesday 13 April 2016

The Do-Nothing Professional


I wish I had the job of Governor of the Bank of Canada or Chairman of the Federal Reserve in the U.S.

What other job can you have where your central message to an entire country is "I am doing nothing" and everyone cheers?

Today the Bank of Canada Governor, to much fanfare and media coverage, announced he is leaving interest rates the same.

"I've gathered you all here to say that after careful study, nothing will change."

Everyone cheers and let's out a sigh of relief that the economy will continue along smoothly because a PhDified economist went with "nothing".

I'd be excellent at this kind of thing.

Boss: Mr. Hardie, what have you done today?

Me: Nothing

Applause throughout the office…

Boss: Will you do anything tomorrow?

Me: Hard to say. Probably not. And stop pressuring me.

Do you know the name of the Governor of the Bank of Canada?

Me neither.