Tuesday 8 May 2018

Doggie Show and Tell


Many dogs exhibit the behaviour that experts term doggie show and tell.

Yes. I just made that term up. But the behaviour is real.

It looks like this: You walk in the front door of a house. The dog excitedly greets you. Your visit is the best thing that's ever happened to him. That he can remember, anyway.

This moment is so momentous for the dog that he feels the need to go back deep into the house, rustle around for his favourite toy, that he can remember, and bring it back to show you. "Dude, look at this awesome toy. I suggest we celebrate this amazing moment by playing with it together", thinks the dog. Unfortunately, he can't really tell you anything specific about the toy. He is left hoping you realize the urgency of playing with his toy right now. It's a true sign that the dog wants to be friends with you.

And now, I do the same. When a friend comes over, I run to the door and greet him or her very excitedly. I might even pee, depending on who it is. Then I run into the kitchen to fetch my new blender. "Look at this new blender. It has ten speeds. Puree is my favourite." I hope my friend realizes the urgency of playing with my new blender. That's true friendship.

"Hey, look at my new grand piano. Hurry up and look, it's getting heavy."

True friendship.