Thursday 31 December 2015

Musings and Woes


I always get the words Pentax and Tampax confused, especially when I'm Christmas shopping. Not surprising, since they have their similarities as products. Pentax (the camera) soaks up the light to make a picture, and Tampax, well, you get it.

Which came first? I figure Pentax did. Unless the maker of Pentax loved the word Tampax and told his marketing department to find a similar word that won't get them sued. Or was it a nod to the intricate technology that both products share? Both do come with a telephoto lens, after all.

I thought of a product that combines the two words. Pamtax. It's a camera that snaps at you for five days out of the month.

The older models come with hot flashes.




I love the quiet, relaxed family time around Christmas. It's the perfect time to binge-watch. Still, I'm conflicted on the benefits of binge-watching. Do I really want to watch four seasons of a great show in one night, and then take a week to recover before I regain the ability to speak so I can discuss it with friends? That's like going to Morton's Steak House, paying $200 for dinner and finishing it in ten minutes. That dinner just cost me $20 per minute.

I want to put a piece of steak in my mouth and chew on it for a bit. Same with an episode of Homeland. Could you pass the terrorist cell? I'm not done with it yet.

I guess that's why we put "binge" only in front of questionable activities. No one is ever accused of binge-reading, binge-flossing, binge-meditating or binge-rectal exams.

Do people binge-blog? Get some sleep.