Wednesday 13 June 2018

Fightbit


I fought with my Fitbit last night.

It refuses to count my sleepwalking as "walking".

That's not walking, it's cheating – it said.

You're a dumb app and I'm in charge of you – I said.

If I'm so dumb, how come I can track every crappy step you take? – it asked.

Because you're programmed to. You're not a fitness instructor and you're not Dr. Oz. You're a counter. You're a stopwatch with a few extra IQ points. Shut up and start counting – I pleaded.

You're asking me to lie. Oh sure, you'd call it a fib. Am I called a Fibbit? – it enquired.

Look, I'll buy you a brand new battery. And a slick case to sleep in. I'm competing with my wife here – I said.

Okay. Now bribery? Next you'll ask me to count your restless leg syndrome – it retorted.

Hey, that's a real condition I have. Let's not make this personal – I cried.

Every breath you take. Every move you make. Every bond your break. Every step you take. I'll be watching you – it sang, sarcastically.

I put it in the blender.