Friday 10 October 2014

I don't know, but if you hum a few bars…

Sometimes I feel I should do as the hummingbird does.

Every 6 months or so the thumb-sized bird migrates to southern climes to survive.

Likewise, every 6 months or so I feel the urge to migrate to the crowded climes of downtown Toronto – in search of a real job.

The comparison with the hummingbird is apt. Whenever I'm downtown I feel like a puny extra in an old Japanese movie, flitting around, screaming out-of-sync as the Godzilla-like buildings disappear me.

It's not just my voice that's out of sync. I think I'm out of sync with reality.

As I walked among the suits and subway grates a few weeks ago, it came upon me that maybe I wouldn't fit in. One clue: I was bouncing along King Street whistling the tune Chic-Chic-Chicken from the nursery school where I play piano every day.

Would the CEO of Royal Bank know that song? I guess his version would be Chicken Cordon Blue.

The real version is this:
Chic, Chic, Chic, Chic, Chicken
Lay a little egg for me.

Now, after playing that song until my ears bleed, I need to change it up a bit to survive.

Now I sing:
Swiss Chalet Chicken
Lay a double leg for me

That's pretty harmless for the children. With another song I might have gone a bit too far.

The Apple Tree Song. It goes like this:

Way up high in the apple tree
Two little apples smiled at me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
And down came the apples
Mmm were they good

Can you imagine giving a child an apple directly from the tree, with its invisible skin of insecticide? I wonder how many honey bees had to die to keep that apple shiny and red. Were they stealing the apples from an orchard? Did they put a hard working farmer out of business?

I prefer my version:

Way up high in the apple tree
I slung a rope to hang me
I tightened that noose as hard as I could
And down came my body
Mmm, it felt good

The kids loved it. The child care inspector needed some convincing.

I am not allowed in the Royal Bank tower anymore.