Tuesday 5 November 2013

Who Wins the Race?

Some of you may have noticed that I substitute the term "human race" with "human's race" in my articles.

I borrowed this clever line from a song. The only good song this band ever produced. The song is "I Melt With You" by Modern English.

As a matter of interest, this song first appeared in the movie Valley Girl in 1983, featuring a very young Nicolas Cage.

I prefer "human's race" because, except in remote places near the New Guinea rainforest, this life really is our race. For everything. A great job, high status, the smoothest beer, the wine with the best finish, the largest house, the most secure ego, skirts, the plumpest chicken wings, the lowest fat diet, time etc. We're all chasing something.

No doubt about it. And the more you convince yourself you aren't chasing anything, well, you know the rest.

One thing I really don't understand about the human's race is the worry over one's reputation when you are dead. The legacy.

Newsflash: you are not there to perceive or receive the accolades you are hoping for.

It's a bit like being told you will have a threesome with Charlize Theron and Amy Adams (something I aspire to, with or without their cooperation) but don't worry because you won't feel a thing under the general anaesthetic we will give you.

You're not really there to enjoy it, right? I suppose, on a technicality, you could brag at parties that you did engage in a threesome with Theron/Adams. That's something for sure.

But too bad, so sad, you didn't "really" have a threesome with them.

That is why I worry only about my reputation now. And so when Lou the piano student (from 2 articles ago) called me a poop, well, that really stung.

So I, just like Rob Ford, will try desperately to repair my reputation NOW. Hopefully I am a little better at it.

As for the human's race, we all finish at the same point. Either first or last, depending on how you look at it.