Thursday 8 December 2022

Nero the hero

 


This is Nero. Nero is a Canaan. A very hard breed to find in North America.

Canaans were first bred in Israel as bomb-sniffing dogs. So when I walk Nero, I don't say the usual dog things to him, like "let's go poopies", "pee-pee", "who's a good boy?". None of that nonsense for this serious guy. "I find bombs, you know" he once said to me.

Instead, I say "where's the bomb?", "find the bomb Nero", "check under the car?".

He keeps trying and trying, and the problem is we never actually find a bomb, of course. So he gets discouraged. "There's gotta be a bomb around here somewhere". He doesn't know we're not in the Middle East, even though it's minus 10 out.

One time I fashioned a homemade bomb and hid it under a car so he could find it. He was so proud of himself upon making the discovery. Wouldn't shut up about it. Unfortunately I pulled a wrong wire and the bomb went off, but there wasn't much damage.

I've been walking him for a year and still every time I get to his house he barks and howls at me like a demon dog. Like it's the first time he's met me.

He must think I'm the bomb.