Wednesday 17 June 2020

Breaking Up With God

True Story: The lead singer of a Christian Rock group announces he no longer believes in God.

Not Quite True Story: Here's his conversation with God



Rock Star: Hey God, I don't believe in you anymore.

God: Really? I didn't notice.

Rock Star: You didn't notice my lack of faith?

God: Honestly, no. It's been a busy last few months up here.

Rock Star: How can you say that? I've been tearing apart every cell in my body struggling with this. I could barely sing your glorious songs on stage without feeling massive existential angst. Did you not realize my Bible has been gathering dust under a stack of comic books for a year?

God: You don't say. I knew I should have added pictures. By the way, some of your songs are a little over-produced.

Rock Star: Ya, you're right. They wouldn't listen to me. "We're following God's will", they said.

God: I don't manage bands. Hey, have you met Bono?

Rock Star: No.

God: Damn. Seems like a neat guy. Always trying to save the world. Of course, I overlook that he hides his money in other countries to save taxes. We all pay in the end.

Rock Star: Where do I go now? What's my path? My journey?

God: Don't look at me. Here's an idea. Maybe you're confusing lack of faith with lack of a successful career.

Rock Star: Huh?

God: Believe in yourself. Forget about me. I'm doing fine.

Rock Star: And that means…

God: Who are you talking to right now?

Rock Star: You.

God: You sure?

Rock Star: Are you trying to send me a message?

God: No, I'm trying to get back to work. Now run along and think about what I said.