Saturday 1 June 2019

Message in a Ballot

I remember during a provincial election in the nefarious 90s I spoiled my ballot. I had learned about the candidates, studied the issues, weighed my options, and then across the entire card I carefully wrote:

LOSERS

It felt very gratifying to exercise my franchise in that way. Until the nice lady put my ballot through a scanner to ensure it was filled out properly, and the machine started screaming, "SPOILED BALLOT". "Shit, I left the iron on, gotta go now."

Still, it was important for me to send that "message in a ballot".

Wherever you are, whatever election you are voting in, what will be your "message in a ballot"?

Here's some help. A song I wrote called Message in a Ballot (sung to Message in a Bottle).

Just a vote away
A voter lost at sea
Another loser choice
With no options for me
More money gone
Than any man can bear
Vote them out before I fall into despair

I'll give the SOB the boot
I'll give the SOB the boot
I hope that someone gets my
I hope that someone gets my…

Message in a ballot, whoa oh

Sending out an SOB
Sending out an SOB
Sending out an SOB
Sending out an SOB
Sending out an SOB
Sending out an SOB
Sending out an SOB
Sending out an SOB…