Tuesday 29 March 2016

Musings and Woes



I saw this thing on the news the other day.

You know the news. The program that shows you body parts in Brussels and lifestyle choices in your kitchen, all in half an hour.

They were trying to convince me of the benefits meditation offers. I'm already a believer so no convincing needed.

They featured a gorgeous couple meditating quietly in this cavernous home nested in the Alps (the balcony was carved out of the rock) with a view that I would probably sell my family to experience every day.

Does one really need to meditate in a place like this? Does the mountain view – the violence of nature, now resting – get on their nerves?

So much are they stressed, they close their eyes and meditate.

"Wow, those mountains are spectacular, and it cost me $20,000 for the weekend rental, but I'm gonna close my eyes and pretend nothing exists."

I think if I were there I would try not to blink for 3 days so I could admire God's beauty.

Am I suppose to relate to this couple? Didn't work.

I was left with the impulse, albeit short lasting, to torture them for their Swiss bank account numbers, rent the verdant abode myself, introduce the couple to "cliff diving" and continue on meditating.

Let's face it. Meditation is needed by the hordes who ride the subway and scrape feces off their shoes, not the champagne-swilling jet class.