Friday 23 August 2013

Why I Like to fsck

It's now my all time favourite activity. I can do it alone and fall asleep after without any guilt. I can do it sitting, or standing, I don't give a damn. I can do it with Sam and green eggs and ham.

You read it right. I love to fsck!

Ahem. Let me explain.

You just won't understand unless you own a MAC. What? You have a PC? Please see my next blog, How to Get a Life and Enjoy It.

For MAC users, fsck is salvation. Last week my MAC wouldn't boot. All I got was the grey screen and the spinning gear - spinning and spinning until I tore my corneas off.

I was on a deadline. And I couldn't access Disk Utility because the computer wouldn't boot itself in the butt. With a little ingenuity (something all MAC users have) I discovered a very helpful trick. No, not a visit to a prostitute. I mean a procedure, or a method for fixing my problem.

fsck. NO, NOT fcuk, although if you're more comfortable wearing fcuk, go ahead.

I'm talking single user mode. Start up your MAC and press "command-s". You will see a black screen with white computer type code stuff on it.

After the last line of type, enter this: /sbin/fsck -fy. This allows you to bypass the hard drive and the computer fixes itself. Well, most of the time. This will not work if you drop the MAC from a tall building.

There you have it. I'm not sure if you've ever fscked, but it is easy, fun and disease-free. fsck saved my butt - and that's all it did to my butt, folks. Wouldn't want to do it all the time. But boy, it's good to know it's there when I need it.